Friday, February 18, 2011

The Crazy Floridain's 100/My Heel (imagine!)/Go Andrew!


I know, 3 posts from me this week - what's the world coming to.  I hope I don't get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!  But this will be short.  No laughing at that last sentence.

I am so excited and had to share: My friend, Adam (Crazy Floridian), is about to embark on his first 100-miler.  Adam and I met a little over a year ago and he is one of the most genuine, sincere, and compassionate people I've ever met.  Please wish him well, he has no pacer and his crew members include his wife and young son only so I know he'd love to have some well wishes and support from the blog world!  If you have time, please click on the "Crazy Floridian" and let give him a virtual good luck!  Here is his race link:


Other quick heel news:
Working in a high school certainly has it's advantages, such as the fact I get a lot of days off work, such as next Monday and Tuesday, for instance.  Yes, it's great...but I make a fraction of what the rest of the population makes so don't go thinking you're gonna all want to get your teaching degree.  But another cool thing working here is that I work with a cross country coach who is a big ultra runner AND we have an athletic trainer.  Both have been tremendous aids in many aches and pains over the past 4 years I have been here, especially with the heel. 

Well, the heel's still being testy and I sought out the advice of an ex-athletic trainer here at school, who is also a physical therapist and truly one of the smartest people I have ever spoken to in the field.  She recently went to a seminar on "Plantar Faciitis and Plantar Faciosis" given by a professor and head of the physical therapy department here at Regis University.  This man apparently is an "expert" in the field of PF and I couldn't wait to get to the phone fast enough to call him.  So I did.

And he called me back.

And he couldn't be any nicer.

I am not a student at Regis University and technically he is not suppose to be treating me, and technically he isn't going to, but he spent about 45 minutes with me on the phone getting my 35+ year history of running, the history of my heel problems, and told me, amongst other insightful tidbits, "Stopping running and progressing back into it is not necessarily the ticket to beating this thing...."  One thing that has really bothered me with this entire heel fiasco is vast array of opinions, both online and from every soul you encounter - and even doctors, on what is "best" for my heel.  Seems there's about a 70-80% consensus to stop running, and that will make it all go away.  My podiatrist and this apparent expert in the field both disagreed 100% with that.  So that was a relief, in some sort of twisted way.

Anyway, I am rambling, as I tend to do (and noted I wouldn't above - ha, who's laughing now!) but here's the cool thing....he is going to see me next week to do an analysis of my running (I will show you all my show wear pattern next week...you will be SHOCKED to see how much I heel strike my right (aka: bad heel) foot.  This guy told me point-blank that what I have may NEVER be a distant memory, that it is most likely here to stay (no guarantees one way or another) but he could help me manage it better and hopefully make my running more enjoyable.

I am SO excited, I can't even express in words how good I felt when I got off the phone a couple days ago with him.  I go in next week, I am going to take tons of notes, and I'll be certain to share!!!!  I don't even care if this heel pain is never going to go away - at least I'm going to have some skills to help manage it and that gives me hope that yes, I can still run that 50 this fall, amongst other things.

Having a 4-day weekend, I'm off for a little adventure in the mountains - yay!  Having a few too many anxiety attacks this past week and so I think some fresh mountain air is going to really help.  Also revamping the blog a little and WILL have my coaching website done so lots of things to share with you next week, stay tuned!

Go get 'em Adam.  And also to Andrew, who will be running his first 8-miler race!  So excited for him, too.  You're going to do great buddy!

Happy weekend, friends.  Run strong!

58 comments:

Emz said...

Adventure in the mountains . . . .sounds like a good weekend or a hollywood movie title.

100 - - - awesome! Go ADAM!

Andrew. rock. the. 8.

and

so happy you are happy with the new physical therapist!

Enjoy your weekend!!

Kate Geisen said...

Sooo cool that you have access to an expert...and one nice enough to help you out!!

Have a wonderful trip!

Go Adam and Andrew!!

A Prelude To... said...

What a great guy to help you out like that. I sure hope he helps you figure out a way to make this problem diminish greatly!

Ok - I'm going to go say hi to Adam now!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Enjoy the mountains...

Big Daddy Diesel said...

My girl works at a school, I get soooooo jealous of how much time she gets off

Christi said...

Go Adam! Go Andrew! I hope you both have great races!

Yay, for the new doc with "coping" mechanisms.

Have a great long weekend!

misszippy said...

How cool is that? Was this Ray M? Just curious (can't remember where he worked). Anyhow, love that you'll get the analysis. It's fun and so informative.

Go Adam and Andrew!

Are you tired from all this blogging?

ShutUpandRun said...

This is GREAT news Jill. Really excited for you and glad you have some hope. This guys sounds spot on. I agree, it is so frustrating to have so many different opinions!

funderson said...

mmmmm...cool mountain air..good for what ails you. I'm going to get some R 'n R in Ouray myself. Long weekends are the best..enjoy!

Teamarcia said...

Looks like encouraging stuff! Can't wait to hear more about the heel and how it's going to behave beautifully from now on.
Go Adam--100 WOW!
Go Andrew!
Enjoy some mountain air for me!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Go Adam!!

Sounds like you are getting some great advice with your heel issue. So excited that the 50 remains an option. wootwoot!

Breath in the mountains for me. I have to take the kids to VA to see Hubbs since he has Reserve duty this weekend and then is off to NC for training. When will I get on the trails for my long runs? boohoo. Oh well I know I'm lucky to be able to keep my endurance up so no complaining from me.

Enjoy the weekend!

Paul said...

Such great news!

Enjoy your weekend!

trailturtle said...

Sounds like you deserve a break, so enjoy your long weekend getaway.
And good luck to Adam. Really tough to do a 100 without much crew or pacers.

Adrienne said...

yay for good heel news and how did you score a 4 day weekend--jealous

Jennifer said...

Woo hoo ! All good news. I love good news posts. Mountain adventures beat all others, have a great time. BTW that article you sent me on training for a 50 miler, is A-MAZE-ING! Such great information. Thanks- XOX

Running and living said...

MY running club sent an email about Boston with a link from your blog:)
Glad you are getting some good advice with the heel.

Anonymous said...

Yay! You know my opinions on heel striking, yes I can be very opinionated. I'm sorry :)

so great 100 miles! Wow! I'm totally in awe!

ajh said...

This is encouraging! Man, I hope he can help you! Yes, I think managing not vanishing is the name of the game. And I agree with all the conflicting advice. Every expert - professional I went to believed what would help slightly differently. I don't think I expressed that well but hopefully you get it! Fingers crossed for you!

Run Jess Run said...

I'm so glad you're getting some good advice for the heel!

Enjoy your long weekend--I'm in the midst of mine as well:)

Andrew Opala said...

3 posts in a week! and well wishes ... Go Adam and Andrew! :)

"26 hours [limit] for the 100 miles" yipes ... that's how much I've allotted for the 8-miler!

"Plantar Faciosis"? Isn't that the name for what happened on Cotton Plantations in the South before the Civil War?

That sounds awesome that someone can help out. I hope you were made fore each other!

Andrew Opala said...

BTW I'm embarrassed that you mentioned me - but very very grateful!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

teachers are incredible and YES you deserve a "get away" Enjoy!

Char said...

That is great news about your heel. Half the problem with getting help with injuries is finding the right person to help. This guy sounds like he's just the right one for you.

Marlene said...

How incredible to have access to such great support/resources - glad you are getting some more help to keep that heel manageable!

Jenn said...

Yay Jill! How refreshing to talk with someone who actually seems like he cares AND knows what he's talking about. 45 minutes!! I'm sure it is such a relief to know that there is at least a potential way to manage your situation and be able to continue doing what it is you do:)

I'm glad your heart is filled with hope! I am "hoping" it stays that way for awhile!!

Hope you have a wonderful adventure in the mountains! Looking forward to next week:)

XLMIC said...

Sounds like this guy may be able to help you out! Awesome! And how great that he agreed to see you... even though he didn't *wink* and will be treating you... even though he isn't *wink* The analysis sounds like it will be so beneficial. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

The Green Girl said...

Oh, Jill, this is so exciting. I cannot wait to hear how it goes!

Chris K said...

Awesome, rad, exciting, stupendous, what else?

This is great news. Lining up nicely with our little upcoming race.

God speed to my little Grasshopper Andrew.

L.B. said...

Sounds like your heel should be shaking in its boot... its days of being your nemesis are over.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Such great great news Jill! Yay!! I wish I could come to the mountains with you! Ahh, I miss it!!

Running and living said...

Hi Jill, since I don't have that comment response feature ennabled, and also don't have outlook so that I could access your email, I am cutting and pasting it...If you want the original just email me and I'll respond:

----Original Message-----
From: runaway_moms@googlegroups.com on behalf of Meg Muckenhoupt
Sent: Fri 2/18/2011 10:42 AM
To: runaway_moms@googlegroups.com
Subject: Boston Marathon standards getting tougher

If you want to run Boston, you'd better get your qualifying time in before
2012. They're cutting qualifying times by FIVE MINUTES for all age groups
for 2013!

http://runwithjill.blogspot.com/2011/02/boston-cha-cha-chaaanges.html



Meg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "runaway_moms" group.
To post to this group, send email to runaway_moms@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to runaway_moms+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/runaway_moms?hl=en.

Irene said...

I look forward to what you learn about PF. My husband is plagued with it, too.

What are you going to do with all that time off??? LOL. Enjoy!

Kate Geisen said...

I have this picture of you at a puzzle table,growling at everyone who comes near until you're finished. lol. You need a puzzle intervention...or she does!

Your sub story cracked me up.

Hope you're enjoying your time off! :)

Black Knight said...

Good luck to your ultra-runner friend.
My wife works in the school (elementary) and she has many days off too.
I hope you have a wonderful adventure on the mountains.
It is important to keep in touch with a kind expert.

Anne said...

Sounds like you got great advice. The problem with PF and it's evil twin, achilles tendonitis, is rest to a runner means a few weeks when the prescription is a few months.

What you learn (for some, like me, the hard way) is to never plan too far ahead because it's those darn expensive races that fill within hours of open registration that keep us from truly healing.

Bubble Boy said...

I hope you get relief soon for the heel! Keep me posted on the advice because I will need some pointers on chronic PF.

beachbody team said...

Way to go Adam! The best of luck to you! And you too, have a great time at the mountains! Will def stay tuned to your updates. :)

RunToTheFinish said...

only runners volunteer to have someone run tests an analyze them :) I totally love it!! i just posted my own stride analysis

Unknown said...

Yipeee!! So happy and thrilled for you, I know you must have felt weeks of worry roll off your back when you got off the phone! Wonderful!
My guys said the same thing about this PF never really being a thing of the past but so what!! It is being managed right now and yours will be too.

There is NO slowing Jill down, way to stay tough!
Hugs,
meg

Molly said...

that is fabulous that expert is going to help you!! Gotta love it when they say things like making running more enjoyable!

hope you're enjoying your mountain getaway!!!

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

What an excellent work perk!

We had a bug going around the office, knocking people back left and right. It must have been pretty strong to knock me out as long as it did. Hopefully my immune system ends up stronger for it, because I usually don't get sick. Boo.

Katie said...

Great news about the heel. I can't wait to read about what you learn. My heels are often sore too, but I'm never really sure why. Is it Achilles's tendinitis? PF? I don't know. It hasn't stopped me yet, but it would be good to know how to manage things.

Melanie said...

i am very interested in how you are told to treat your heel. i have recently started to develop some heel pain and would love some advice! :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Jill, I think it is very economic of you to use your "connections"! Right on! What do you teach in HS? I'm a college advisor and love being on a campus--jsut wish I got as many days off as you teachers! But you work much harder than me! :)

Johann said...

Sorry I missed this post completely but glad I can now follow Adam. I hope this guy can give you the help and info you need. So Pikes Peak it will have to be...or Leadville...

Nitmos said...

Well, you may ramble (like I do) but at least you make 'heel news' interesting. Got any words for 'paint drying'?

Bethany + Ryan said...

wow, good for Adam! I'm gonna go check out his blog now

Amber said...

100 Miles! DANNNNNGGGG!

Raina said...

Oh do I ever hope we are off the injured list soon....

I am happy you are getting some good cousel. IT's funny, but i am having issues on my right heel too and have HUGE differences in wear on R/L shoes. I think my R is way more wobbly than the L...but i wonder if all it is is road camber. But i switch sides of the road. Do you??

Anyhow...hope that this gets kicked to the curb and let us know what you find out. Trainer access is SO nice.


Thanks again for all your advice and help for B. I hope I can even "race" it and not walk it right now.

Unknown said...

Again, your news is so exciting and I hope you have some FUN during your days off!

We're having some RAIN here...what, weather?

Enjoy your mountain running!

Sherri said...

Good news are always the best!!!
Your posts are so fun ....I love to jump on the computer and read your excitement!

TX Runner Mom said...

I hope you're able to get to the bottom of this heel issue and at least get some relief!

Katie A. said...

Miss you!
Crossing my fingers he is the magician! We need to be running!
Hope all is well, let's chat this week, lots of plans to be makin'!
Hugs and kisses!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Love your new picture on your header! :)

Black Knight said...

I like the new header, beautiful picture.

Emz said...

I
am
loving
your
new
photo.

trailturtle said...

The new pic rocks!--nice BLUE (yay) sky, bright, cheerful--so nice to not have to look at gray and snow, since most of us are pretty sick of that.
Thanks & run well, Ann

The Boring Runner said...

I'm in the space right now where I can't even wrap my head around 100 mile run. So awesome!!!!