Thursday, May 14, 2009

Goodybye Smoky Hill Class of 2009

A pretty emotional day as I bid farewell to the Smoky Hill H.S. graduating class of 2009. An exit assembly this afternoon with pictures of the student from toddler to senior. And later the staff forming a gauntlet down the hall, clapping as the seniors exited the building. This group of student graduating especially hit me hard; I've known many of them since kindergarten as my daughter is a senior as well (though at a private, Catholic school) and have watched them grow up for all these years. Today was bitter-sweet but I wish you all well. I've had some amazing students enter my life; I will forever be touched. And a huge congratulations to Chase Cooper, who won Cherry Creek school district athlete of the year for pole vaulting. He'll be attending the Air Force Academy starting this June. I remember when he came to Abbey's birthday party in 1st grade.



Okay...so as not to calm the craziness in my life, God forbid, I rushed home after the assembly today and gathered what I could to go run then do weights. By the time I finally got out the door, it was 4:15 and still very warm. I made a loop around the creek, noticing how fast it is flowing - indicative that it's spring. The amazing thing, though, is that on the east side of the creek, the water is starting to negotiate a new path. The water is splitting into two in many place. Along the west side of the creek, the gnats were swarming and I know I inhaled about 400. I hate these guys! I also saw my first snake of the season, and almost stepped on it. They are out sunning themselves already. Ick. I didn't feel that great but I keep on my slow pace til I finished my 5 miles. When I got to the car, I was sporting a major headache, which has been the case for the past several days, and I was not going to go to the gym to workout. I ran to the grocery store quickly and then got home and did a few weights on my own here. Not as much as I wanted but some was better than none. I had to finish up the interview/writing for Dimity and I had to finish my newsletter for Rob. Two big deadlines and I was scrambling to get 'em done! I just got an email from Rob stating that my article probably isn't making the deadline. Err.

I'm so tied I'm about ready to pass out!

Tomorrow I am going for a medium run then heading downtown to pick up my race packet for the relay. Dennis has now given me 24 minutes to do my relay exchange. Given it's going to be some time to actually DO the exchange, this is probably still a little fast for me. We'll see. Sharon, who was handing off to me, is now being replaced by her fiance, Neil, due to injury....I now get to don my same anxiety, only it's who the heck Neil is vs. Sharon. Hoping that cuz Neil runs an insanely fast 10K, he'll be one of the front runners and I'll easily spot him up front. Yeah, okay Jill...keep thinking that. Never mind how you're going to find Matt. One at a time. Who's idea was this relay, Dennis? Oh yeah....

5 miles run

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Make sure you have fresh legs on Sunday. This was your idea, I have e-mail proof. I need you guys to give me a big lead so I don't blow it on the anchor leg. So I'm putting you down for 22...

Jill said...

I can't believe that you aren't putting me down for a 21:something PR!! We'll, that's not techinically a PR since I ran a 20:15ish back in pre-twin era....but we don't necessarily count those days. Emails should vanish after 10 days. Max.